Canada

Apple Inc., Microsoft Corp., and their bidding allies are due in court next week to close on a $4.5 billion win in the auction of Nortel Networks Corp.'s portfolio of technology patents, Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review reported. Judges in the U.S. and Canada must sign off on the deal, the largest ever sale of intellectual property, and a transaction that will reverberate through courts around the world as the winners wield their Nortel prizes in infringement cases.
Read more
Nortel Networks and its subsidiaries sold 6,000 patents to a consortium consisting of Apple, EMC, Ericsson, Microsoft, Research In Motion and Sony, Datacenter Dynamics reported. The winners emerged after a multi day auction with a cash bid of $4.5bn. In a statement the company said: ‘The sale includes more than 6,000 patents and patent applications spanning wireless, wireless 4G, data networking, optical, voice, internet, service provider, semiconductors and other patents.
Read more
Blockbuster Inc.'s Canadian subsidiary on Thursday got a 14-day extension to keep using the Blockbuster name through the middle of July, as the video-rental company sorts out issues on both sides of the border, Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review reported. Without the agreement, Blockbuster Canada would have been forced by new Blockbuster owner Dish Network Corp. to stop using the Blockbuster name on June 30. After about two hours privately meeting with Judge Burton R. Lifland of the U.S.
Read more
Judges in the U.S. and Canada have pushed Nortel Networks Corp.'s warring units back into mediation, urging them to reach a deal over how to divide some $4 billion raised in the telecommunications company's global liquidation, Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review reported. The prospect that Nortel's creditors around the world could wait a long time to find out how much of the cash they will get is "troublesome," Judge Kevin Gross of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., wrote. The wait is due to a dispute over whether Nortel should divide the cash in court, as Nortel U.S.
Read more
Nortel Networks Corp.’s U.S. and Canadian elements are awaiting word about their bid to steer a $4 billion intercompany cash dispute into the courts of their home countries over the protests of European divisions of the dissolving company, the Bankruptcy Beat blog reported. The money was raised in a global liquidation of the Toronto-based telecommunications-equipment maker, which foundered in 2009 and abandoned hope of getting back on its feet in the recession. Nortel U.S. and Nortel Canada say they need an assist from U.S.
Read more
Telecommunications-equipment maker Nortel Networks Corp., in the process of liquidating its assets, has asked that an official retiree committee be named to negotiate over ending or modifying health-care benefits the company attempted to cut off last year, Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review reported. In a filing Thursday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., Canada-based Nortel said it had spent $19 million on U.S. retiree and disability benefits since being thwarted by a July 2010 appeals court decision that said companies must talk to retirees before terminating their benefits.
Read more
Dish Network Corp. is threatening Blockbuster Canada with the loss of its use of the Blockbuster logo, as part of a strategy to acquire its assets, Blockbuster Canada Co. said, Bloomberg reported. Blockbuster’s U.S. business, acquired by Dish, has asked for bankruptcy court permission to end an agreement with the Canadian unit over trademarks, Grant Thornton Ltd., a receiver for the Canadian assets said in court papers filed in Manhattan court today.
Read more
Many Blockbuster Canada stores are expected to close in the coming weeks and the rest will soon be put up for sale, the group overseeing the struggling chain’s receivership proceedings said Tuesday, the Toronto Sun reported. Grant Thornton Ltd., was appointed Blockbuster Canada Co.’s receiver earlier this month by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. Some stores will be consolidated, but the majority of Blockbuster’s some 400 Canadian outlets will continue to operate as usual while Grant Thornton seeks potential buyers.
Read more
Karlsen Shipping Co. Ltd. was placed in receivership Tuesday and the Halifax tour operator’s prized cruise ship, M/V Polar Star, remains tied up in Spain until authorities on either side of the Atlantic can reach an agreement on its future, The Chronicle Herald reported. It took Justice Arthur LeBlanc only a few moments to grant a receivership request from the Toronto-Dominion Bank during a Nova Scotia Supreme Court proceeding prompted by the shipping company’s inability to settle a $1.4-million repair bill. Polar Star had a collision with an iceberg in the Antarctic in January.
Read more
Nortel Networks Corp. said Monday it has received court approval for a $900-million "stalking horse" bid by Google for the company's remaining patents and patent applications, the Winnipeg Free Press reported on a Canadian Press story. Qualified bidders hoping to top the Google offer will be required to submit offers by June 13, while the auction is set for June 20. The winning bid will require approval by the U.S. and Canadian courts overseeing the sale process.
Read more